- Two big-ish online shops a month. I budget £60/£70 for each one. I do this with Tesco, but open to changing this if someone recommends somewhere cheaper? I use the Tesco app and scan items as I nearly run out of them, so it takes very little effect and no need for paper shopping list now.
- Meal plan covering two weeks
- List everything you normally buy so this can be checked before ordering to keep little shops to a minimum.
- Make meals that have similar ingredients to each other.
- Jamie Oliver Save book. We cook loads from this book.
- Non packaged snacks for kids ( and adults) – carrots, boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, seed/ nuts, fruit etc. It’s awesome in the Summer when the raspberry bush is in fruit in the garden!
- Everything is bought on Tesco credit cards for the points and at the end of the month I highlight all the corner shops/ market/ supermarket related trans and work out the total. We never use cash, so it’s easier to add up.
- Only alcohol & chocolate twice a week 🙁
- Don’t have too much food in the house. It’s dead money!
- Our leftovers I tend to eat for lunch the next day now instead of binning it.
- Buying more frozen veg than fresh. However I do prefer fresh.
- New recipes aren’t allowed more than 3 new items. Andy is a nightmare with this 😉 I have LOADS of randoms items in the cupboard that I have no idea what they were even for!
- Putting leftovers in freezer. So if we use lime in our gin I chop up what is left and that goes into the freezer.
- Growing berries in the garden.
- Grow your own herbs. I replant the tiny end bit of garlic in the garden and it grows back! Does anyone know if there is a seed/ plant swapping group in Norwich please?
- Special offers only on things you will use and need. I only buy washing up liquid now when I see it on offer.
Comparing supermarkets website: My supermarket
I used this website, which compares 15 supermarkets and if I switch on this shop I would save £1.23. However if I switched some items I could save £7.59. I can definitely see me using this website more often. Lidi and Aldi don’t deliver, so this shop I personally think it’s a better idea to stick with Tescos. 51 club card points.
The diet green/ orange and red is awesome! It’s Easter coming up, so I have cooking chocolate on our shopping list this month. However still looks like we are pretty healthy. This is a great feature. However for us it just says ‘there are no direct swaps’… they suggested swapping chocolate for fruit, but this won’t work well for Jessica’s Easter chocolate nests!